Wednesday, March 30, 2005

PW Explains the FOP

Kia Gregory has a great article in today's Philadelphia Weekly about why the FOP decided to back Seth Williams over Lynne Abraham. Looking for actual substance? Leave it to the weeklies.

Mini-rant: Why does the Daily News, Philly Weekly and Citypaper always have better coverage of city and state politics than the Inquirer? The Inquirer likes to think of itself as the paper of record for the region. If that's true, they might want to do a slightly better job covering local issues.

There was that great series of hard-hitting articles about Fumo and other corrupt machine politicians in Harrisburg a while back. But I remember thinking, "Whoa, the Inquirer is doing investigative political journalism? When did that happen?"

3 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger ACM said...

I dunno about substance -- they didn't really add anything to the articles that I'd seen previously, which already said that the police liked Williams' idea about community prosecutors. It seemed to me, however, that the essence of their reasoning was this:

"Just that type of thinking alone, to do something different, is worth trying."

which is kind of like saying that the system needs a change, without really giving me an argument for why it's broken and how this specific guy will help.

I will admit, though, that all the coverage is piquing my curiosity. It may be that my own research will pay off in a way that the media sound-bites aren't helping at all...

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger DanielUA said...

I would suggest going to his website and reading his plan for community based prosecution, for some of his substantive proposals.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger ACM said...

I'm not contending that he doesn't have any worthwhile proposals, or might not be the better candidate. The website is interesting, and the stuff I found by tracking down "community prosecutors" was even more promising.

I'm just contesting the assertion that the Daily News is providing substance that the Inquirer (or other outlets) are failing to provide. I found not one fact in this article that I didn't know previously, other than that the FOP appears to be making a "leap of faith" (which is probably not even a fair characterization of their support).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Unique Readers