Thursday, January 06, 2005

Run Josh, Run

Last night I went to the Philly for Change Meetup/Happy Hour. It was the first one I have ever been too. It is Philly, so I saw some familiar faces, even one of the "in theory" contributors to this blog. It was an interesting crowd, skewed a little older than I expected. I had some good conversations about framing, and met Chris Bowers of MyDD. While that was all good, what got me really excited was the long conversation I had with Philly for Change member Josh Richard.

In this past election, Josh decided to make a "quixotic" run for State Rep, against 24 year incumbent Republican Mario Civera, of Upper Darby. I put quixotic in quotes, because despite spending a grand total of... $1,500 dollars, here are the results:

RICHARD, JOSH (DEM)
11,409
CIVERA, MARIO J. JR. (REP)
14,202

In other words, in a State where incumbents do not lose, Josh spent $1,500 dollars, won 46 percent of the vote, and lost by only 2,800. That is an amazing showing.

How did he do it? Well, I (and others I talked to since last night) hope to hear it directly from him. But the short version is that he simply got out there, organized, and knocked on door after door after door.

Now Josh has to decide where to set his sights for 2006: State Rep. again, or Township Councilman. It is a question of aiming high and maybe losing, or aiming more locally and getting a definite foothold as a Councilman. That is only a decision that he can make. That said, this is probably the best chance in the entire state to take a Republican House seat. And to replace that Republican with a young, progressive, decent human being would be wonderful for Upper Darby, the Philadelphia region, and PA as a whole.

In my blathering last night, one thing I promised him was that if he did run again, he would have help. I know that Alex and the Music for America crowd would be interested in this race (right?). The Philly for Change people would be interested in the race. The question is, how many other social networks could be mobilized to help Josh win? I think numerous. This is exactly the sort of thing I think this website could be useful in doing.

Upper Darby is a working class, inner ring suburb with rapidly changing demographics that will only help our cause. That said, when you get 46 percent of the vote, people start paying attention, including your opponents. I guarantee that Rep. Civera will not be asleep at the wheel for this campaign. But, 46 percent... Imagine what could happen with candidate training from Wellstone Action. With a bigger organization, for which, he has already laid down the tracks. With volunteers.

Josh, email me to talk about it some more.

Alex, Charles, everyone else out there; if he runs, will you step up to help a young, progressive Democrat go to Harrisburg?

5 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Charles said...

I guess that I am the "in theory" contributers? I laughed my ass of when I read that.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Alex Urevick-Ackelsberg said...

I know that Alex and the Music for America crowd would be interested in this race (right?)Fo shizel my nizel! Let's do it. Are there any universities in that UD? Either way, I'm down and I can get MfA behind it...

We also might be able to hook him into some of the Dem funders- purely speculation, but surely within the realm of the doable...

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Alex Urevick-Ackelsberg said...

Oh- and we defenitely should try and persuade the guy to stick with running for the PA House- we need to have the house firmly in hand by the time the next census comes around...

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger BrMaynard said...

I'd like to suggest he run's for the house. Although I don't live in UD, I visit quite often and am somewhat familure with the area. I'd love to try and help as much as I can.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger ACM said...

Uh, yes! Have thought a bit about getting into the midst of things myself, after a satisfying experience organizing my Division for MoveOn this fall, but the politics in this area seem too arcane and self-referential. If there's somebody with a chance that I could team up with/help, I would gladly lend a hand!

If you post updates here, I'll try to get in touch...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Unique Readers